Deck railings not only serve as essential safety features but also contribute significantly to the overall aesthetics of your outdoor space. The 3 most popular styles we install are cable, glass, and picket railings. In this article, we’ll explore the characteristics of each – cable, glass, and picket railings – to help you make an informed decision for your deck.
Cable Railing: Sleek Modernity and Unobstructed Views
- Contemporary Aesthetics: Cable railings bring a modern and sophisticated aesthetic to your deck. The sleek lines and minimalistic design create an open and uncluttered appearance, making them an excellent choice for contemporary or minimalist styles.
- Unobstructed Views: One of the standout features of cable railings is their ability to provide unobstructed views of the surroundings. The thin cables act as subtle barriers, allowing you to enjoy panoramic views without compromising safety.
- Low Maintenance: Cable railings require minimal maintenance. Regular cleaning to remove dirt or salt build-up is usually sufficient to keep them looking pristine. The use of stainless steel cables also ensures durability and resistance to the elements.
- Versatility in Design: Cable railings offer design flexibility, allowing for both horizontal and vertical cable orientations. This versatility enables customization to suit various architectural styles.
- Installation Expertise: While some homeowners may opt for DIY installations, cable railings may require professional installation for precise tensioning and compliance with safety codes.
Glass Railing: Elegance and Transparency
- Maximized Views: Glass railings provide an unparalleled view of the surroundings, making them an excellent choice for decks with scenic landscapes or ocean views. The transparency of glass panels creates an open and expansive feel.
- Contemporary Sophistication: Glass railings add a touch of contemporary elegance to any deck. The clean lines and transparency contribute to a sophisticated and modern aesthetic.
- Wind Protection: Glass panels act as a barrier against the wind, providing some protection for your outdoor space while still allowing ample light to pass through.
- Low Maintenance: Glass railings are easy to maintain. Regular cleaning with soap and water will keep them crystal clear and ensure they retain their visual appeal.
- Maintenance of Transparency: While low-maintenance, glass panels may require more frequent cleaning, especially in areas prone to dust or pollen, to maintain their transparency.
Picket Railing: Timeless Charm and Customization
- Classic Appeal: Picket railings exude timeless charm and are a perfect fit for a variety of architectural styles. They complement both traditional and contemporary designs, providing a versatile option.
- Customization Options: Picket railings offer extensive customization possibilities. Homeowners can choose from various materials, styles, and decorative elements to match their unique preferences and the overall design of their deck.
- Affordability: Picket railings are often a cost-effective option compared to some other materials, making them an attractive choice for those on a budget.
- Safety: The vertical pickets create a secure barrier, making picket railings an excellent choice for families with children or pets.
- Maintenance Requirements: Traditional wood picket railings may require regular maintenance, including staining or painting, to protect them from the elements and ensure longevity.